Make a Difference Day 2020:
Ways to Make a Positive Impact Despite the Pandemic
Make a Difference Day was created 20 years ago by USA Weekend with the mission to improve the lives of others. They were joined in sponsorship by Points of Light, and together, these organizations created the largest national day of community service. While these groups no longer promote the weekend, the annual event continues – carried on by those who believe in the mission and want to help those in their communities.
For all of us at All American Heating, it’s important to make a difference every day, not just once a year. It’s a value that we try to live by in both our personal and professional lives. After all, we never know what people are dealing with behind the scenes, and the most important thing we can do to make a difference each day is to be kind to one another. Making a difference doesn’t always have to be a grand gesture.
While we should take steps to make the world a better place as part of our daily lives, it’s still a good idea to do something special to celebrate Make a Difference Day – and finding ways to reach out during a pandemic can be a challenge.
So, here are dozen suggestions for this year’s unique circumstances:
- Go to the grocery store or run errands for a friend or neighbor who is high risk for COVID-19. Wear your mask!
- Volunteer to walk dogs at your local rescue shelter.
- Post only positive messages on social media for the day.
- Donate to a good cause – every little bit helps! Here are links to some that are close to our hearts.
- Buy a few extra groceries and drop them off at your local food pantry.
- Surprise someone who’s down with a coffee to brighten their day.
- Clean out your closets and give old clothes and blankets to a shelter.
- Give blood.
- Adopt a Highway and clean up your local community.
- Order dinner to be delivered to a frontline woker.
- Read a meaningful book with your kids and talk about what it means.